Nursing Informatics Pioneers
One of the major drivers in recent health care reform legislation is the American Reinvestment and Recovery Act’s (ARRA) HiTech Incentive. This act, passed in 2009, earmarked $22 billion for the adoption of electronic health records (EHRs), with a goal of 100% adoption in all practice settings by the year 2014. The HiTech Act provides an example of the pivotal role that health information technology plays in the delivery of quality health care services. Yet, health information technology is a relatively new field. This Application Assignment provides an opportunity for you to examine the contributions of pioneers in this arena and consider how their contributions have influenced health informatics and nursing practice today.
NURS 8210 – Nursing Informatics Pioneers
Write a scholarly 3- to 4-page paper comparing two nursing informatics pioneers. Synthesize your thoughts using the bullets below as a guide:
- Visit the AMIA Video Library 1: Nursing Informatics Pioneers webpage listed in the Learning Resources.
- Review the biographies and video presentations of pioneers who are of interest to you, or may hold a position that you aspire to achieve.
- Select two nursing informatics pioneers and conduct further research on their contributions.
- Consider how their contributions have influenced health information technology and nursing practice today.
- What are the professional accomplishments of each individual?
- How have their contributions influenced nursing practice?
- How have their contributions shaped the field of nursing informatics?
- What lessons can you take away from their experiences?
- What skills or ideas demonstrated by these leaders might you apply to your professional practice?