Assignment: Developing Organizational Policies and Practices
Competing needs arise within any organization as employees seek to meet their targets and leaders seek to meet company goals. As a leader, successful management of these goals requires establishing priorities and allocating resources accordingly. Within a healthcare setting, the needs of the workforce, resources, and patients are often in conflict. Mandatory overtime, implementation of staffing ratios, use of unlicensed assisting personnel, and employer reductions of education benefits are examples of practices that might lead to conflicting needs in practice. Leaders can contribute to both the problem and the solution through policies, action, and inaction. In this Assignment, you will further develop the white paper you began work on in Module 1 by addressing competing needs within your organization. To Prepare:
- Review the national healthcare issue/stressor you examined in your Assignment for Module 1 (which my issue/ stressor was the critical faculty shortage), and review the analysis of the healthcare issue/stressor you selected.
- Identify and review two evidence-based scholarly resources that focus on proposed policies/practices to apply to your selected healthcare issue/stressor.
- Reflect on the feedback you received from your colleagues on your Discussion post regarding competing needs.
- Identify and describe at least two competing needs impacting your selected healthcare issue/stressor.
- Describe a relevant policy or practice in your organization that may influence your selected healthcare issue/stressor.
- Critique the policy for ethical considerations, and explain the policy’s strengths and challenges in promoting ethics.
- Recommend one or more policy or practice changes designed to balance the competing needs of resources, workers, and patients, while addressing any ethical shortcomings of the existing policies. Be specific and provide examples.
- Cite evidence that informs the healthcare issue/stressor and/Developing Organizational Policies and Practices or the policies, and provide two scholarly resources in support of your policy or practice recommendations.
Here is a solved solved!!Nurse Shortage as a Healthcare Issue or Stressor in an Organizational Setting: Competing Needs, Policy Implications, and Ethical Considerations The healthcare issue or stressor identified earlier is nursing staff shortage in the healthcare organization. As can be surmised, this issue has far-reaching implications on the quality of care that a health institution can offer (Antwi & Bowblis, 2018). This fact derives from the simple fact that nurses are the one with direct contact to patients and therefore form the face of the organization’s service product. This paper therefore takes a look at this healthcare stressor in terms of competing organizational interest that impact it such as nurses’ need for better pay and a conducive working environment, Developing Organizational Policies and Practices and the patients’ need to be offered the best quality care possible by nurses who are committed to their job. In the above context, therefore, the two competing needs in the organization that directly influence this healthcare stressor (nurse shortage) are:
- A need by the nurses in the organization to fulfil their financial obligations, take care of their families, and live a comfortable life. This competing need comes against the organization’s owners’ need to get a substantial return on investment (ROI) on their business.
- The need by the patients to get only the best in healthcare and nursing services, since they pay for the same and are also entitled to quality healthcare. This is a direct competing need to that one of the nurses above. As the nurses feel that they are not remunerated well enough for their efforts, the patients will be seeing the demotivated nurses as professionals who are not loyal to their calling and who are not following their professional standards of practice. NURS 6053 Assignment: Developing Organizational Policies and Practices