Data Collection and AnalysisApply a selected tool to an identified health care problem, analyze the qualitative and quantitative results, and provide evidence-based recommendations to address the problem based on analyses performed. Include a minimum of two visual data displays (charts, graphs, et cetera). Health care has become a data-driven industry that practices evidence-based decision making. Whether the issue is clinical or financial, health care leaders are expected to analyze problems using logic, established tools, and data. Effective leaders engage team members in the problem resolution process, encouraging a wide variety of perspectives. Data Collection and Analysis Once the problem is clearly defined, the health care leader is responsible for selecting an appropriate, established framework or tool with which to analyze the problem. Research, critical thinking, and team collaboration are important facets of problem solving. Health care organizations have finite resources, so the solving of problems must take place within the confines of the organization’s available resources. Data Collection and Analysis In this assessment you will practice estimating the cost of one recommendation and determining whether implementing the recommendation is realistic for a specific health care organization. You will apply a simple cost benefit analysis and make a recommendation. Cost benefit analysis is another important skill for health care leaders, and this assessment provides an opportunity for you to demonstrate critical thinking skills. Data Collection and Analysis This assessment also provides the opportunity to reflect upon the industry and organizational contexts before engaging in application of a tool for problem analysis. You will consider the organization’s setting with respect to level of care, mission, strategy, operations, and culture. Data Collection and Analysis Moreover, you will think critically about legal, regulatory, ethical, and risk management operational issues that relate to the selected problem. Let’s get started.
Demonstration of ProficiencyBy successfully completing this assessment, you will demonstrate proficiency in the course competencies through the following assessment scoring guide criteria:
- Competency 1: Evaluate problems in health care organizations, and apply tools to improve quality and outcomes.
- Provide rationale for the selected problem analysis model or tool.
- Competency 3: Construct evidence-based health care management recommendations in compliance with personal and professional values and legal, regulatory, and ethical considerations.
- Construct evidence based recommendations which may include ethical, legal, regulatory, and organizational standards.
- Competency 4: Analyze records and reports based on established benchmarks and organizational goals and performance.
- Analyze date relative to internal and external benchmarks.
PreparationAs you prepare to complete this third course assessment, consider the organizational context. How does analysis of the problem align with the organization’s vision, mission, strategy and financial viability? Using numbers and organizational considerations, you will explain why the organization should or should not proceed with the recommendation.
InstructionsThis assessment consists of three parts.
Data PresentationIn this part of the assessment, you will apply the selected tool to the problem and produce a minimum of two visual data displays (charts, graphs, et cetera). Examples of tools you might include are:
- Cost Benefit Analysis: Excel spreadsheet, converted into 2–3 worksheet tabs, graphs, or other visual display format.
- Compliance Assessment: 3 major criteria converted into 3 separate pie charts or other graphic display format.
- Lean Analysis: The percent of variance by major factor converted into 2–3 trend lines.
Quantitative and Qualitative Analysis of DataIn this part of the assessment you will analyze the collected data relative to benchmarks. Provide discussion as to whether the selected benchmarks are internal to the organization, external industry benchmarks, or a combination. Be sure to include a short summary of observations. Note: If the problem requires an additional tool, such as a compliance audit tool, you may include more than one discussion of the results. Data Collection and Analysis
Evidence-Based RecommendationsIn this final part of the assessment, provide evidence-based recommendations that will help to address the identified problem. Be sure to support your recommendations with references to current, scholarly, and/or authoritative sources. Also include an explanation as to why the recommendations are feasible for this particular organization. For example, one recommendation might be to offer a new service line. Data Collection and Analysis Even though the new service may not generate an immediate profit, it might serve to draw additional patients into the network.
- Length: The nature, breadth, and depth of the problem will drive the length of the recommendation and cost benefit analysis. Data Collection and Analysis
- Font: Use Times New Roman, 12-point font.
- APA: Follow APA formatting and style guidelines for citations and references.